Newsletter for RRP Contractors

Renovator refresher training can now be done entirely online 

On February 10, 2016 EPA finalized revisions to the Lead-based Paint program. The final rule allows refresher training to be done without a hands-on component, which means it can be completed entirely online. Taking a renovator refresher course that does not include hands-on training will result in a 3-year renovator certification. Taking a refresher training course that includes hands-on training (regardless of whether the rest of the course is taken online or in a classroom) results in a 5-year renovator certification. Individuals who take the renovator refresher without hands-on training must, for their next refresher course, take a refresher course that includes hands-on training to maintain renovator certification. Use our online trainer search tool to find trainers offering the online E-learning version of the course.


When is renovator refresher training required?

EPA extended the training expiration date for many certified renovators. To determine when a renovator's training has expired take a look at the table below. Expiration dates are based on when the previous course was taken. Please note that certifications begin to expire on March 31, 2016; renovators in that group must take refresher training by that date in order to have valid certification.

Note: The extensions do not apply to firm certifications

  Renovator Training Expiration Information

Date course completed


On or before March 31, 2010

March 31, 2016

From April 1, 2010 - March 31, 2011

6 years from the date of course completion

On or after April 1, 2011

No extension provided.  

  • Initial courses and refresher courses with hands-on.  The expiration is 5 years from the date of course completion.
  • Refresher courses without hands-on (done entirely online).  The expiration is 3 years from the date of course completion.


Firm application, update, certificate replacement

All firm applications (certification and recertification), payments, updates and certificate replacement requests are done online.  Acceptable methods for payments online include credit card, debit card, or electronic check.


Use EPA's "Look for the Logo" campaign to promote your business!

As you know, EPA's RRP requires firms working in older homes and child care facilities to be certified, train their employees, and follow lead-safe work practices. To ensure that your potential customers hire a Lead-Safe Certified firm, help spread the word by using EPA's outreach materials to remind everyone to "Look for the Logo"! For more information or to download the materials for free, click here.

Help us encourage your potential customers to "Look for the Logo". Feel free to place the widget on your webpage and highlight the print ad in an upcoming customer newsletter or email.

Firm certification/re-certification

Firms that disturb painted surfaces in homes and child care facilities built before 1978 are subject to EPA's renovation regulation and likely require firm certification. These firm certifications expire every five years.  Firms must apply for recertification to extend their certification an additional 5 years. Firms are encouraged to apply early, at least 90 days before their expiration, to ensure their application is processed before they expire. You won’t be penalized for applying early, just be sure to select “re-certification” and your new 5-year certification won’t begin until your current certification expires. Click here for information about applying for re-certification. FYI, check your certificate for your firm's expiration date (see example firm certificate below, the expiration date is circled in red), you can also check your expiration date using our online firm search tool. If necessary, you can order a copy of your certificate online.


Once submitted to EPA your application will be processed in 2 to 3 weeks.  Once finished you will receive an email from that includes your approval letter, certificate, and customized logo. Please check your email settings to ensure you'll receive this message. You can also check the status of your application and download a copy of your certificate once issued by going to EPA's E-Enterprise website.  Use your CDX user name and password for access.  Your application information appears under the "progress tracker" section.

Amending your application

A firm must amend their certification within 90 days of the date a change occurs to information included in their most recent application. If the firm fails to amend their certification within that period, the firm may not perform renovations or dust sampling until their certification is amended

 Authorized states

To date, EPA has authorized 14 states to run their own renovation programs. Renovators and firms that only work within an authorized state(s) must be certified by each authorized state in which they do work, and would not be required to be certified by EPA.  The authorized states are ALDEGAIAKSMA, MS, NC, OK, OR, RI, UT, WA and WI.

If an individual renovator is certified by an authorized state they are also qualified to work in EPA administered states, with no additional training. EPA certified renovators wishing to work in an authorized state should contact the state to determine if additional training/certification is necessary. Regardless of whether a firm is certified by an authorized state, if they do work in an EPA administered state they must be certified by EPA. Click here to see the FQ’s related to this topic.


Frequent question database (FQ database)

EPA maintains a list online of Frequent Questions regarding the Agency's Lead Program. It is regularly updated to ensure that you have access to the very latest information. When questions come up we recommend you first review the Frequent Questions, then if you cannot find the answer you're looking for call the National Lead Information Center at 1-800-424-LEAD (5323).

Here's an example from the FQ database.  Can the required records and documentation be stored electronically rather than as paper copies? The answer is “yes, the records can be stored electronically”. Take a look at FQ 23002-32220 for more details!


Bookmark this

10 Jun 2016